Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Don't take the details for granted


I’ve always followed the “proper” timeline for life events. I got a degree, then got married, then got a good job, then bought a house, had a son then a daughter (yes, a millionaire’s family). Everything has just sort of fallen into place perfectly at the perfect time. Now before you start to hate me, like I often hate bloggers who brag about all the great things they’ve done, I give credit for these “accomplishments” to God and I’m only using it as background to explain how I started to take good things in life for granted.

We live what I have always considered a frugal life: one shared vehicle, no cell phones, hand-me-down or homemade furniture, no fancy vacations…if anything I felt hard done by because I didn’t have what everyone else around me had. I felt that I deserved what I had because really it wasn’t anywhere near what everyone else around me had. 

Then within a six month period the following happened: First, my husband lost his job. A little voice said: “You think you’re hard done by? You could be without a second income, and benefits.” Then the furnace died – completely with no warning – and a little voice said: “You could be without heat.” Then the hard drive on my laptop died and a little voice said: “You could be without a computer.” Then the van wouldn’t start one day and a little voice said: “You could be without ANY vehicle.” Then the internet and dishwasher died on the same day and a little voice said: “Really, you feel deprived when you have 24/7 internet access and a dishwasher?” And I said: “OKAY! MERCY!”

Before locusts start coming through the windows, and I get boils on my skin, you can stop. I get it now. I’m exceptionally blessed and I took it for granted. We all do it. This is not me using my mad mom skills to scold you. Simply sharing a lesson I learned and will hopefully not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment